Gayer Andserson is not just a musuem , it is a story teller for several ages been watched by this house...
Your marvelous trip will start with a meeting and breifing for the tour , our professional tour guide will take care of this ...You will be transfered to Old Cairo where the musuem is placed.
The museum consists of two houses built using the outer wall of the Mosque of Ibn Tulun as support. The larger house, located to the east (the outermost side in relation to the mosque) was built in 1632 (1041 AH) by Hajj Mohammad ibn al-Hajj Salem ibn Galman al-Gazzar. It later came into the possession of a wealthy Muslim woman from Crete, and the home became popularly known as Beit al-Kritliyya, or "House of the Cretan Woman." The second house, to the west (the innermost side in relation to the mosque) was built in 1540 (947 AH) by Abdel-Qader al-Haddad. It later became known as "Beit Amna bint Salim," after its last owner. The two houses were joined by a bridge at the third floor level at an unknown point, and are both collectively known as Bayt al-Kritliyya.
The construction of private homes against the outer wall of a mosque was common practice, with access to both the homes and mosque via narrow streets. It was reported that in the early 20th century, the mosque of Ibn Tulun could not be seen from the outside due to the houses. In 1928 the Egyptian government began to clear the homes, many of which were in very poor condition, away from the mosque as part of a plan to make important Islamic monuments more accessible. The Committee for the Conservation of Arab Monuments objected to the demolition of Beit al-Kritliyya, however, on the grounds that the home was extraordinarily well preserved. The home was kept intact, and repairs were made to the side walls to strengthen them after the neighboring houses were torn down. In 1935, Major Gayer-Anderson, a retired collector and self-described Orientalist, was granted permission to reside in the house, which had just been restored. Gayer-Anderson oversaw the installation of electricity and plumbing, and the restoration of fountains, pavements, and other parts of the interior of the home. He populated the building with his personal collection of art, furnishings, and carpets. In 1942, Gayer-Anderson was forced by ill health to leave Egypt, and he gave the contents of the house to the Egyptian government. King Farouk gave him the title of Pasha in return. Gayer-Anderson died in England in 1945, and is buried in Lavenham, Suffolk. Lunch is a perfect time to test & taste Egyptian Food, will be served at a local fine restaurant. Transfer back to collection point.
|Number of tourists||Single||2-3 Persons||4-6 Persons||7-10 Persons|
|Prices||$ 68.00||$ 48.00||$ 38.00||$ 35.00|
- Service of meet & assistance upon arrival
- Transfer from collection point to Gayer Anderson house
- Entrance fees of the site
- Professional English speaking Tour Guide
- Professional driver
- Mineral water
- Return transfer to collection point
- Wipes for hygiene standard
- Applied tax / service charge
- Tipping Gratitude (recommended)
- Personal expenses
- Any optional sightseeing or unmentioned items